Tuesday 21 July 2015

Pretty Lily

My current WIP (work in progress for anyone who doesn't know what this means!) is the fabulous Stylecraft Lily Pond Blanket CAL (Crochet Along) designed by Jane Crowfoot.

Part 1 - Doing a foundation row was much harder than I thought it would be but I got there in the end.
When I started this blanket the only experience I had with crochet was the granny square but I loved the idea of a challenge and I am SO glad I went for it as I have learned so much so far and I'm not even finished it yet.  I would definitely recommend this for anyone who wants to learn lots of new stitches (the bobble stitch and the pin wheels were great fun once I cracked it) and because you do it in sections it doesn't feel so daunting compared to making a blanket in one go i.e. a granny stripe blanket (although this is on my to do list!). 


How cute are the bobbles???
I started this CAL about 2 weeks in so I have always been behind everyone else but it was so nice seeing everyone else's blankets progressing when I was a couple of steps behind especially some of the wonderful different colour schemes people used.  I was a bit boring in that regard and stuck with the Stylecraft Life DK yarn.  In fairness though one of my favourite colours is teal so it made sense for me really!

I have just started Part 6 although all 8 parts are now available to download at Stylecraft Crochet Along and I have to say that when starting this I thought I would enjoy doing the squares the most i.e. the lily squares but I found working in rows much more enjoyable.  There is something incredibly therapeutic going along a row, getting to the end, turning and starting again...don't ask me why, I just find it very satisfying! lol
 


I generally found the pattern instructions very clear and concise with some really good pictures but the side edges just boggled my mind and therefore I have avoided doing these.  I did try after I did my first Part 1 piece but found it very difficult and ended up getting just a tad annoyed.  I am going to watch Sarah Garner's video on YouTube and hopefully something will click.  I appreciate I will have to do this at some point but I am having a "head in the sand" moment!
 
So this is the plan; crochet all the parts (in order if I can), block all the individual pieces and then join them all together...well that's the plan anyway...we shall see! Watch this space...


P.S. I have never blocked anything before so this will also be a new experience for me but be sure I will be blogging about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment